When using a 5ml syringe, it is important to follow certain safety precautions to prevent accidents and injuries. Here are some of the key safety measures you should take:
1. Always check the label on the syringe to make sure it is the correct size and type for the medication you are administering.
2. Before use, inspect the syringe carefully for any signs of damage or defects, such as cracks or bent needles. Dispose of any damaged syringes immediately.
3. Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water before and after handling a syringe.
4. When filling a syringe, draw the medication into the barrel slowly and carefully to avoid air bubbles.
5. To prevent contamination, never reuse a syringe or needle. Dispose of them in a sharps container immediately after use.
6. Use a new needle for each injection to reduce the risk of infection.
7. Hold the syringe with the needle pointing up and away from your body and others to avoid accidental pricks.
8. When administering an injection, push the plunger slowly and steadily to avoid causing discomfort or injury.
9. After use, dispose of the syringe and needle in a designated sharps container immediately.
10. Store syringes and needles in a secure, labeled container when not in use to prevent misuse or accidental exposure.